Delicious Milky Paal Appam
Updated: May 27, 2020
Paal Appam is an Indian recipe both famous in India and Sri Lanka. I have tried several recipes a few times before, but this is the perfect and tasty version.
We made a few varieties though such as topup with egg and brown sugar as well. This is best served with sweet coconut milk. The recipe was actually shared by my husband's friend.
Those who still find it hard to get a good recipe, you may try this simple recipe.
2 cups of raw rice
Handful cooked rice
1 tsp yeast
1 cup coconut milk
3 tbsp sugar
1. Soak rice and cooked rice together for 5 hours.
2. The soaked rice needs to be blended into smooth batter with water. The batter should be smooth flowing unlike dosa batter which is thick.
3. Add in yeast and mix well. Ferment the batter overnight or 8 to 10 hours with lid closed.
4. Add 1 cup coconut milk and 3 tbsp sugar with salt and mix well. Let it rest for 10 min.
5. Now pour a ladleful of batter into the heated appam pan. - Swirl around and close the lid.
6. Wait till can the edges turns golden brown and the appam remove from the pan.
7. Serve it with coconut milk.
Whatever variation you wanted to do its your wish. The sky is the limit. I made egg and brown sugar version for my sons. They loved it.
Hopefully you will too.