Bubur Cha Cha
Bubur Cha cha is one of my favorite Nyonya Porridge. I like it simply because its colorful and sweet. Whenever I visit any Nyonya cuisine, my eyes definitely will scroll down the dessert menu. The first thing which will be in my order list will be this.
This time I wanted to prepare this at home. Usually I shall use dry tapioca jelly but I decided to keep it very simple because I want my kids to finish the potatoes rather than scooping out all the jellies. This is how I make them eat the healthy and nutritious sweet potatoes.
Ingredients for Bubur Cha Cha
1 each medium size sweet potato (orange, purple)- cut into small cubes
1 medium sized yam – cut into small cubes
½ cup sugar
1/ 2 cup tapioca pearls
200 ml coconut milk
A pinch of salt
Screw pine leaves
There are many different ways to make bubur cha cha. I prefer to add coconut milk at the end.
1. First steam the potatoes for 10 minutes or more till cooked.
2. Then boil the water with screw pines leaves.
3. Once the water started to boil, add the tapioca pearls. Keep on stirring so that it wont stick at the bottom of the pan.
4. Once the pearls turns translucent, add the sugar. I added rock sugar as it gives extra sweet taste.
5. Once the sugar dissolves, add the potatoes and stir well for 2 minutes.
6. Add salt and coconut milk at the end. Mix well. Don’t the let coconut milk boil for too long.
The Bubur Cha Cha is ready. It can be served warm or cold.